The Spartanburg County Foundation considers only those organizations and institutions that are recognized as 501(c)(3) non-profit and/or tax exempt entities providing services to the residents of Spartanburg County, South Carolina. By meeting these criteria, certain institutions and organizations located outside of Spartanburg County may be eligible for funding; however, funding is restricted to benefit Spartanburg County only. Organizations that serve multiple counties must clearly show that the funds will remain in Spartanburg County.
Except in unusual circumstances, multi-year grants are not considered. Grant sizes generally range from $5,000 to $15,000. (Larger grants may be considered at the discretion of the Trustees.) Organizations that receive a grant through one of the Foundation’s Responsive Grantmaking Cycles are not eligible to apply for a grant in any other Responsive Grantmaking Cycle within 12 months.
The Spartanburg County Foundation gives Priority Consideration to:
• Projects that clearly provide innovative responses to the goals identified by the Spartanburg Community Indicators Project; but do not unnecessarily duplicate other efforts.
• Projects that are collaborative in nature, involving two or more organizations.
• Projects that enhance the internal stability and growth of a receiving organization.
• Projects likely to attract support from matching fund arrangements.
• Projects with a plan for continued funding from other sources.
The Spartanburg County Foundation Trustees are Inclined to Favorably Consider:
• Projects that affect broad segments of the community.
• Projects that demonstrate good planning in light of overall community needs.
• Projects for which partial funding is required rather than total funding by the Foundation.
• Projects with appropriate measurement and evaluation tools in place.
• Projects that promote volunteer participation.
The Spartanburg County Foundation does not Generally Provide Funding for:
• Annual fund campaigns.
• Annual operating support, other than for start-up purposes.
• Recurring requests from a grantee for the same purpose for which a Foundation grant has been previously awarded.
• Film projects.
• Publication of books or reports.
• Fundraising events, celebrations, or dinners.
• Individual schools unless the proposed project is district- or county-wide and is supported by the District Superintendent(s). Requests from public school systems must come from the superintendent’s office.
The Spartanburg County Foundation does not Provide Funding for:
• Lobbying activities, political organizations, or candidates for public offices.
• Individual projects.
• Religious organizations for sectarian purposes.
• Research that is of a non-community nature or that does not have promise of near term benefits to the citizens of Spartanburg County.
• Debt reductions, deficits, or previous obligations.
• Retroactive expenses/activities.
For more information, please contact the Foundation at (864)582.0138.